Request a new one here.
Hosting Donations Welcome
Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

28-10-2017 13:12
Dein Deutsch ist immer besser, sehr gut! LOL Grin

17-10-2017 23:28
Just back from urlaub in USA. Alles gut und du?

07-10-2017 13:13
How are we all doing guys? Wink Leon

07-09-2017 17:08
Thanks for fixing it Baltic, because i use the Search quit often. Grin

04-09-2017 18:31
The Search button is now working. There ware just a couple of script files left over from a previous version that were causing a conflict.

27-08-2017 13:37
DID WIN PLACE 14 IN SERIOUS SAM MOD CONTEST! (14 out of 20). So, rather bad, lol

16-08-2017 09:52
Hi Baltic, the "search" button doesn't seem to work anymore on this site, do get a error message. Wink

26-07-2017 12:34
Serious Sam Bogus detour mod released!

12-07-2017 11:00
Working hard on the Serious Sam mod and all goes well, will show stuff before the weekend!! Grin

01-07-2017 21:26
It's probably better than mine TB.

Shoutbox Archive
View Thread
Baltic Forever.com » SP-Mods.com » Lounge
 Print Thread
RTSL.com (Phillip) will stop with his site.
SPY
Big news from the HL / HL2 front.
Phillip from previously know PlanetPhillip.com, now known as RTSL.com
has said that he will stop with RTSL. He will wait with deciding what to do
next with the site, and will tell us on 31 dec 2016 his decicion. Maybe he
will continu in a much, much smaller form, or only keep it going on as a
archive. I have had my share with troubles with Phillip over the many years
that i know him now but i have to admit that he was a big player in the
source maps and mods archiving. And, after 13 years that he did work on
his site i can imagine that he doesn't feel it anymore. I will place his 'good-bye'
text below and place under that a link to the page on his site.

Phillip;

I’m Taking a Partial Sabbatical
PlanetPhillip · 2nd September 2016 · 94 Replies

Hi Everybody,

I have some surprising news.

Over the last few years I have felt increasing pressure running the site. Remember, in various forms, I have been running the site for almost exactly 13 years. That’s a long time. During that time I have spent thousands of hours working on it. I feel that I’ve done a pretty good job at promoting SP maps and mods.

Recently, it has felt more like a burden than a hobby. Every weekend is planned around streams and work that needs to be done on the site. Every week day, most my free time is spent doing something related to the site.

I need a rest. A proper rest. Not just a few weeks. Even during my “holiday” I felt obligated to check in and see what’s happening. That’s wrong.

I heard something on The Goldberg’s last night. Somebody said “I just wanna ride my bike and play video games”. And that’s exactly how I feel. It’s time for me to be a consumer not a creator.

I feel that I have been trying to promote SP Half-Life stuff alone, of course I haven’t, but that’s just how it feels. I have tried so many different projects, initiatives, ideas and events. Some have been mildly succesful, others failures, but at least I tried.

One of the reasons I renamed the site from Planetphillip to RunThinkShootLive was because I wanted more community involvement. Something more like LambdaGeneration, but that takes a lot of work and it never really had the effect I had hoped for.

The new RTSL Discord server has brought with it yet more hassle.

I have been thinking about closing the site for a few years now and over the past few months that feeling has become stronger.

Unlike last time, which was a reaction to a big problem with ModDB, I will be giving people and myself time to transition.
What Next?

Firstly, I will, with immediate effect, stop updating the site, except for newly released maps and mods. No more blog posts, poll questions, streams, or videos, including What The Headcrab.
I said “no videos” but I *may* make videos of any maps or mods I add.

I will leave the comments open and continue, with Don, to retroactively moderate them.

Don has kindly agreed to deputize in my absence . He will take over the organization of the weekend streams and have complete control over the Discord Server, as well as possibly posting new maps and mods.

The Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook pages will remain online but not updated, except for Twitter.
Longer Term

On 31st December 2016, I will announce my longer term plans. There are plenty of options:

Close the site completely (Unlikely, but definitely possible)
Archive the site. Keep the site up and running but add no new content. As long as the donations cover the cost of the servers, then that’s fine.
Revert back to PlanetPhillip and ONLY post maps and mods. Remove ALL other content.
Sell the complete site to somebody who wants to keep running it.

Those are the obvious ones, but there are others too.

With regard to the last one, I would sell it, not to get any money because I never ran the site to make money, it’s too niche for that, but to ensure that whoever wanted to take it over was serious about it. A little bit like like the Green Light system on Steam. I have no idea what amount I would ask for.

However, if an interested party approaches me, I will discuss formally passing the site onto them. They MUST be known to be or be recommended to me by somebody I know.

If that happens, they can take over the complete site except for the Twitter and YouTube channel. The reason is that they are under the PlanetPhillip name and whoever takes over, should start afresh with those.

New owners will need to negotiate with Nodecraft for the hosting as well as discuss whether to continue to host the files on the dedicated server or another option.

As I mentioned, one possibility is that on 31st December, I could decide to revert back to PlanetPhillip.com, remove everything except the maps and mods, i.e. interviews, poll questions, etc, and just post and review maps and mods.

I would then pass the RTSL Discord server over to somebody else, along with the RunThinkShootLive.com domain name.
What About the Level Design Academy?

At this point, I don’t know what I would do about the Level Design Academy.

I haven’t decided what to do about that and I won’t rush it. I’ll talk with Don and see what happens.
What About Gauge/MapTap?

I don’t know. I will discuss it with Alex, the coder and we can decide together.
What About The Ville mods and other exclusives?

Again, don’t know. If I close the site, then I will give the community my permission to upload them wherever they want to. If I continue with the site in some form, I may or may not continue with those. If I do, then the format would definitely change.
The Black Mesa Mapping Challenge

I’ll talk to the Crowbar Collective and Don, and see what we can work out. Expect news very soon.
Thank You

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has participated in the modest success of the site, especially, Aaron, Simon, Don, Alex, Jan and Mazur.

There are many others who have helped and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Finally

As you can see, I am still very confused about what to do, but something HAS to change. A hobby should never become a burden.

No doubt, I have forgotten something, so feel free to remind me and I will respond to all the questions and comments that this generates.
TL;DR

I’m tired of running the site.
I’m taking a break.
I’ll announce something on 31st December 2016
Thanks for your support.

link;
http://www.runthi...abbatical/

leon
Look for my Sof2, Quake2, Cod, HL2, Cod2, Prey sp-map in the Download section of SP-mods.com

http://www.leon.triplebit.nl/
Baltic Forever
I never expected Phillip to get tired of running his site but it was a lot of work because of all the things he has to do.

Hopefully he will archive most of the site and just keep the things he likes working on.
< It may be difficult at first. But don't Give Up. >

TB Biggs
Surprising and yet not. All things have a due course and then somehow come to an end. It's the history of all things. I have not even visited PP site unless to check out spy's new mod and the forum comments.
On 23 September 2016, i will have been on BF dot com for 10years. 10 years. I remember the day I logged in, wrote a response and you both answered me. I was hooked and have been here ever since. I'm traveling (and may have big news in the next month or so..!!) but I still check BF almost every day. You guys are my friends and I still say we will meet one day. Cheers
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

Baltic Forever
It's hard to believe that it's been almost 10 years we have known each other and I'm interested to hear your big news.
I'm guessing it has something to do with travelling so we can finally meet each other.
And I do remember when you first joined up. You mentioned something about us being mature compared with other forums.
< It may be difficult at first. But don't Give Up. >

TB Biggs
I travel to Germany on 26 September to 04 October. You'll be some of the first to know if there's any big news to report or not Cool
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

SPY
I do think it was to much work for Phillip in the end, specially because he did start a lot of extra things on his site, walkthrough videos, mapping videos, etc etc etc.
His site did get less visits every month, he told me this about a year ago. It seems all his extra work didn't give extra visits. Although my latest mod did give for a month or so a lot of extra visits, that is what he said.
HL(2) is dying for quit some time now, and with it sites as PP / RTSL.
It was to much work, for to less visitors.
He has promised that he will at least archive all files, and probably rename it back to PP.com. 31 dec he will tell what he has decided, in which form he will continu. But it will be much smaller as it was the last year or so.

I am also very curious to hear your big news, if it happens.
I assume you are working on a very big thing that has to do with your work.
The last half year i haven't been around here as much as i was used to do, and i miss it. Guess this is just a quiet time till a new large project will be started, at least i hope so.

Leon
Look for my Sof2, Quake2, Cod, HL2, Cod2, Prey sp-map in the Download section of SP-mods.com

DennisG
Im shocked it lasted this long and that there is still some community left. Shock

Oh the memories Grin I still remember when I found my jail escape mod listed on planetphillip and I was like WTF who posted this here..who is this phillip guy! hahaha

www.dennisglowacki.com
SPY
Well, it was all temporarily it seems.
Because he back and works again as normal on his site.
But you are right, the HL(2) community is almost gone / dead
by now. Only a small group keeps playing stuff.
That is also my main reason why i stopped with source.
Still, HL(2) did live longer and many other games.

Leon

Jump to Forum: