Request a new one here.
Hosting Donations Welcome
Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03-11-2019 16:51
Baltic where are you.

12-10-2019 23:44
Still here, shame Baltic seems not to be joining anymore. Still, he keeps giving us this place. 2020 is around the corner. Grin

08-08-2019 23:19
Hey buddy. Nice to hear from you. And girlfriend, after many years...so do I ! Shock

28-07-2019 15:19
HI TB! Yep, still around. Haven't been here for months though, all well, have a girlfriend, Shock

11-07-2019 01:38
Hey guys. Are we all still around?

28-04-2019 18:53
So, was a while not around, am just here to see whats happening

07-02-2019 02:20
Hi Spy. I was in Germany for about 1.5 years. Glad to be back in the USA except for this crazy President

11-11-2018 14:51
Half Life 3 VR, Valve is working on 3 new big titles, in VR! Will HL3 be one of those?

05-11-2018 20:11
WOW! How fast time flies by! One more month and 2018 is coming to a end! What kind of great games will we play in 2019 ???

06-10-2018 16:56
I read your old thread about moving to there and in there you said you would go from 2017 to 2019, o well, it is indeed almost 2019.

Shoutbox Archive
View Thread
 Print Thread
teleport destination
luke9511
ok i got a small map with 3 teleports, now what im wanting to know is, is there a way to set up a computer next to the teleporter and when the player hits the use key on it a menu like the one for the mani admin menu will come up to where you can choose your destination? for example, your at teleport 1 and you use the computer and you choose teleport 3 or (if you have more teleports) if your at teleport 2 and you use the computer a menu comes up and you can choose to teleport to teleport number 7. is this possible?

DennisG
like an ingame VGUI? yes.

http://developer....n_Creation

You will also need to create a lot of I/O's to trigger all the different teleporters.

If you cant code then you could create multiple buttons and have thoes trigger the different teleporters.

If i were to do it. i hate coding I would probably use 1 button and use a math_counter or something similar and set it up to change to different teleporters every time i pressed it and also display an onscreen text telling the player what teleporter destination is activated so they can pick where they want to go.
Edited by DennisG on 07-07-2007 17:27

www.dennisglowacki.com
SPY
like Cube said, it can be done, with coding, but that's a heck of a job, and i can't code. so i also would try to make it with triggers and buttons, but it will be very much work. gess the best thing to do is make first one paper some sort of systhem, from which button activates which teleport. because it will be quit a ' mess' with buttons and all.

succes,
leon
Look for my Sof2, Quake2, Cod, HL2, Cod2, Prey sp-map in the Download section of SP-mods.com

http://www.leon.triplebit.nl/
luke9511
thanks for the replys, now i have another question along the same lines, is there a way to have the destination saved until you hit another button to activate the portal?

DennisG
The destination wont change until you hit another button to activate the portal.

www.dennisglowacki.com
luke9511
cubedude89 wrote:
The destination wont change until you hit another button to activate the portal.

ok cool thanks alot, im still new at this so im still learning Smile

TB Biggs
luke9511 wrote:
cubedude89 wrote:

ok cool thanks alot, im still new at this so im still learning Smile

Welcome as a new member luke9511. We're all in the learning process somewhere! But you've come to a great site for level design guidance.
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

DennisG
We're happy to help.
please post up the work you do so we can see. Smile

If I get some time I can go more indepth if you need me to.

www.dennisglowacki.com
luke9511
thanks for the help, im asking this as im still working on a map which is a conversion from half life 1 to source, as this is how im learning about hammer and map editing in source (i like to challenge myself Pfft) so i do have some mapping questions, first one for now is, how do i create brushes at an odd angle? i will take screenshots later to show as i cant at the moment.

sman789
Do you mean rotate them? Just click on them once on either one of the 3 views then drag the rotation handles Wink

If you mean make them a different shape, use the vertex tool (the bottom button on the left Wink )

http://botw.phpnet.us
DennisG
you might have rotate lock on which makes it snap to certain angles.
So just hold down shift when you rotate and it will allow you to rotate to any angle you want.

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
Using the Hammer Editor will take some time to get used to. We have had years of experience, so just ask if you need any further assistance.
< It may be difficult at first. But don't Give Up. >

DennisG
years

1 year and 9 months. So almost years for me Grin
Edited by DennisG on 11-07-2007 01:50

www.dennisglowacki.com
luke9511
sorry for the late reply been busy with other stuff, but anyway heres the area where i need to create a brush at an angle[img]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3990/anglemz5.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

also can anyone help me with the stuff this is saying?
Download source  Code
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\jediobi1\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jediobi1\half-life\stargatetc\maps\maps\sg_loop.vmf
"materials/..\..\..\counter-strike source\cstrike\materialsrc\textures\+0chevbig.vtf": cached version doesn't exist
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2.Brush 8834: WARNING, microbrush
..3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (7)
**** leaked ****
Entity light_environment (-160.00 -432.00 448.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (546.8, 524.5, 145.8)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 501:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (542.1, 536.5, 144.8)
Leaf 1 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (545.2, 530.9, 135.5)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1409.7, -656.5, 76.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 1306:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1418.7, -656.0, 78.2)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 1306:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (859.7, -1418.5, 0.4)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 1653:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (628.9, -1422.4, 0.5)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 1664:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (645.4, -1398.5, 0.5)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 1664:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (7)
material "skybox/looprt" not found
Can't load skybox file skybox/loop to build the default cubemap!
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "___error"
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (1) (1105081 bytes)
Error! To use model "models/stargate/stargate2.mdl"
      with prop_static, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model "models/stargate/stargate2.mdl"!
Error loading studio model ""!
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 1323 texinfos to 998
Reduced 10 texdatas to 9 (279 bytes to 229)
Writing C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jediobi1\half-life\stargatetc\maps\maps\sg_loop.bsp
17 seconds elapsed

Edited by luke9511 on 14-07-2007 10:22

SPY
the most concerni8ng error message in your compile log is right at the top;

**** leaked ****

when you see this you have a leak in your map, (obvious, haha). this will make that water doesn't show up in your map, and the overall look of the map will be wors, and i even believe it makes your fps go low.
you can find this by loading the pointfile. you do this by going in to your top toolbar's tabblad Map, and then press on Load Pointfile. it will automaticly load the right .ini (pointfile) file or it asks you to do this manualy. it will already have opend the right folder for you, you just need to double click on the ini file that has your mapname.

please look then in your 3d window of hammer, and search for a red line, follow it and it will clearly show you where the leak is. remember that not only real holes in a map make leaks. also entities that are placed beside the edge of the map, or even by mistake outside the map will cause leaks. so, when the red line point to nothing somewhere outside your map, then proberly the last thing i described is going on.

hope this helps you,
should you not mean the leak message but all those messages about portals. then that can better be asnwered by Baltic, he is the real portal man here. but i gess your map is quit large, and you didn't make portals in it, that's why you get those messages. don't look for now at them, i also get them all the time.

succes,
leon (SPY)

(by the way, those purple/black blocked brushes are caused because you are using there a texture that can't be found by hl2. gess you are using a custom texture, make sure you have scripted the .VMT file right so the texture can be found)
Edited by SPY on 14-07-2007 13:49
Look for my Sof2, Quake2, Cod, HL2, Cod2, Prey sp-map in the Download section of SP-mods.com

http://www.leon.triplebit.nl/
luke9511
SPY wrote:
the most concerni8ng error message in your compile log is right at the top;

**** leaked ****

when you see this you have a leak in your map, (obvious, haha). this will make that water doesn't show up in your map, and the overall look of the map will be wors, and i even believe it makes your fps go low.
you can find this by loading the pointfile. you do this by going in to your top toolbar's tabblad Map, and then press on Load Pointfile. it will automaticly load the right .ini (pointfile) file or it asks you to do this manualy. it will already have opend the right folder for you, you just need to double click on the ini file that has your mapname.

please look then in your 3d window of hammer, and search for a red line, follow it and it will clearly show you where the leak is. remember that not only real holes in a map make leaks. also entities that are placed beside the edge of the map, or even by mistake outside the map will cause leaks. so, when the red line point to nothing somewhere outside your map, then proberly the last thing i described is going on.

hope this helps you,
should you not mean the leak message but all those messages about portals. then that can better be asnwered by Baltic, he is the real portal man here. but i gess your map is quit large, and you didn't make portals in it, that's why you get those messages. don't look for now at them, i also get them all the time.

succes,
leon (SPY)

(by the way, those purple/black blocked brushes are caused because you are using there a texture that can't be found by hl2. gess you are using a custom texture, make sure you have scripted the .VMT file right so the texture can be found)
thanks for the help, i know about the black/purple textures but im talking about that hole in that ledge near that little yellow box, as you can see it goes straight and then it gets at an angle, im trying to fix that but im having a hard to duplicating it so any advice on it would be awsome

luke9511
ok i fixed the leak and im getting a new error now
VERTEX_BUFFER_SIZE
how do i fix this? and thanks alot for the help

Baltic Forever
First of all, you shouldn?t be using brushes which are one unit thick. That was the mistake which I made when I first started mapping. Thin brushes should only be used for adding fine detail to the map.

The first thing you should do would be to find brush number 8834 and delete (or resize it).
You can ignore the FindPortalSide errors, because those will go away once you have fixed the leak in the map.

Error loading studio model "models/stargate/stargate2.mdl"!
Simply change the model into a prop_dynamic or a prop_physics.

material "skybox/looprt" not found
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "___error"
You can (normally) ignore those errors.

Cubedude89 gave you the answer for creating a brush at an angle. Just make a straight brush, and use the ?vertex editor? tool to angle the brush by dragging each dot in the 2D screen until it fits right. If the brush disappears, then select ?undo? and try again.

As for the VERTEX_BUFFER_SIZE problem.
That?s a new one to me, but you could try optimizing your map and see if that helps.

luke9511
so all the brush that are one unit thick i need to delete and stretch them? i think i tryed that once and when i applied a texture to it it didnt look right, also i have already fixed the leak and am currently working on the others

Baltic Forever
Well I wouldn't say that you have to delete or stretch all of the brushes which are only one unit thick. If the map plays alright, then you could just leave them the way they are. But it's just bad practice to use brushes that thin unless you are creating a vent or shaft.
The brush which you need to fix, is that microbrush (brush number 8834). The easiest thing to do would be to delete it and build it again.

Jump to Forum: