Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Hosting Donations Welcome
Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

07-02-2019 02:20
Hi Spy. I was in Germany for about 1.5 years. Glad to be back in the USA except for this crazy President

11-11-2018 14:51
Half Life 3 VR, Valve is working on 3 new big titles, in VR! Will HL3 be one of those?

05-11-2018 20:11
WOW! How fast time flies by! One more month and 2018 is coming to a end! What kind of great games will we play in 2019 ???

06-10-2018 16:56
I read your old thread about moving to there and in there you said you would go from 2017 to 2019, o well, it is indeed almost 2019.

06-10-2018 16:56
I read your old thread about moving to there and in there you said you would go from 2017 to 2019, o well, it is indeed almost 2019.

06-10-2018 16:54
WOW, time really flies!!! SO your back already, how long were you in Germany? 1 year? how fast it all goes!!! Grin

27-08-2018 23:58
Hi guys. I am back in the USA now. Moved back in late July.

03-05-2018 12:38
By the way, have made 10 maps with Broforce game, you can see video's in my Broforce thread here on BF.com

03-05-2018 12:36
Hee, TB, nice to see (hear) you !!!! In a few days i will be able to show you some video footage of my DL map! Grin

28-04-2018 22:26
I have Dying Light but have not started. Want to see your new work

Shoutbox Archive
View Thread
 Print Thread
spmods Speed Modeling #3
DennisG
Yep Its Friday already.

Our activity for this week is.... a Snow Man!

References
http://images.goo...rch+Images

I dont have my entry today because I am working on the Tower model.

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
I will give the snowman a go Smile
< It may be difficult at first. But don't Give Up. >

Baltic Forever
I made one, but only spent just over half an hour on it (most of that time was spent making the head).

[img]http://www.sp-mods.com/images/custom/models/snowman01.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.sp-mods.com/images/custom/models/snowman02.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.sp-mods.com/images/custom/models/snowman03.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Baltic Forever
I think the head may have been a bit heavy Sad

Click Me

DennisG
haha nice hair. Cool

And you're learning to animate (un rigged) Smile

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
Unfortunately you can't use animations in HL2 without rigging the models which is a lot harder to do Sad

DennisG
actually, when you export unrigged models it automatically adds a bone that has the animation data (which im pretty sure means if you exported that in compiled it, it would work in hl2) except for the fact that you did it in maya. Grin Which then i cant guarantee it would work with or without a rig.
Edited by DennisG on 22-10-2007 01:13

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
I never knew that Cube. Maybe I will compile that version and see what happens Smile

Baltic Forever
Hey Cube...Wheres your snowman?

DennisG
I have until friday

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
cubedude89 wrote:
I have until friday

That's true Wink

DennisG
Alright Here is mine. (My head fell off too Grin )

I used more of an animation workflow rather then a game development workflow.

I used maya, Started with the default sphere and used soft selection to give it a little difference.
then copied that 2 more times and did some more tweaking with soft selection.

Then I moved the head out and made the arms with a cylinder with some extra subdivisions. and moved the verticies around a bit. Then I mirrored the arm to the other side.

Then I did the carrot hair the same way i did the arms.

The eyes are made from cubes with a few subdivisions and a little tweak of the verticies then a smooth added to it.

Then for the ground I used a plane with 20 subdivisions and did some soft selection with some various brush sizes. Then I duplicated it a lot and moved it around to make an open snow place.

Then to add more detail I made a regular lambert shader with a bump map with a procedural cloud texture. I applyed that shader to the snowman and the ground. I had to play with the bump settings to get it to look right.

The carrots were a simple orange color lambert shader.

black lambert for the eyes and mouth.

brown lambert for the arms.

For the text I used maya's 3d text tool. I used arial font with a bevel preset. And I used some sort of shiny chrome type shader.

For rendering I used Mental Ray with Final Gathering

I saved the render to .psd and brought that into photoshop.

The render automatically creates an alpha channel so I could add a sky that i got from google.
I tweaked a lot of settings of the sky picture to fit my render.

Then the snow effect was made by making a white layer and adding noise filter (set to 150 and NOT monochromatic) Then scaled it up by 150% in both directions, Set layer to screen. then under adjustments i set the threshold to 240 then added a guassian blur (.5 pixel) then a motion blur.

Then I was done!

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/cubedude89/snowman.jpg

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
I like it. You should make it into a Christmas card Cool
And thanks for the detailed explanation Grin

DennisG
Yes you are supposed to explain so others can see your workflow to help them learn. Cool

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
I will do that next time.

DennisG
My explanation probably showed you how much you still have to learn, right? Grin Grin
Edited by DennisG on 01-11-2007 13:28

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
Yep Shock

DennisG
Today I learned how to model High polygon objects and transfer the normal map data onto a low poly version so that it looks like its high poly! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Woo

I should make a video of it.

www.dennisglowacki.com
Baltic Forever
Wouldn't it just be easier to make a High polygon version of the objects in the first place?
Maybe I will wait for the video Grin

DennisG
when i say high poly, I mean it can go upto 100,000 -500,000 polygons

Thats like how many polygons is in one of spys maps Grin

So with this method we can make a 1,000 polygon object look like it has 500,000 Grin

plus you can use mudbox to sculpt even more detail in the high poly version before you transfer the maps.

You'll need to learn mudbox later Grin (its pretty easy. its like working with clay kind of)
Edited by DennisG on 01-11-2007 23:49

www.dennisglowacki.com
Jump to Forum: